Exceeded quota: troubleshooting when you use to much space

Scope of the topic

This topic helps troubleshooting a quota issue due to too much space usage.
It does not consider inode quota (total number of files), this will be part of another topic.

First step: find out how much is used exactly

The df-ulhpc command displays the quota of all your main folders (home, scratch, projects…). The command can only be run on the access nodes, i.e. not on a worker node.

After running the df-ulhpc command, I see this:

Directory                 Used  Soft quota  Hard quota  Grace period
---------                 ----  ----------  ----------  ------------
/home/users/jschleich    281.3G        500G        550G          none
/mnt/lscratch/           2.967G         10T         11T          none
/work/projects/dummy     1.074T       1000G      1.074T       29hours

Here we can see that my dummy project is using too much space and that explains why I can no longer write new files.

For more information about quotas, check our related ULHPC documentation.

Soft quota, hard quota and grace period

On the ULHPC there is a tolerance when you exceeds your quota which is represented by the soft quota here. You can write new files as long as you do not reach the hard quota and for as long as 7 days.

Second step: find out which files are taking a lot of space

Now that I know that my projects uses too much space, let see if this is due to some big files.

Top 100 biggest files

The following command will list all the files (-type f) of the provided directory and for each of them will evaluate their size in a human readable form (du -h), sort them in a reverse order (sort -h -r) and then display the top 100 biggest file (head -n 100).

# Change /work/projects/dummy for the folder you want to consider
# Change 100 to whatever is relevant to you
# Here type -f means files only (not folders)
find /work/projects/dummy/ -type f -exec du -h {} + | sort -h -r | head -n 100

Top 100 biggest files but excluding a given pattern

You tried the previous command however most of the big files of the list cannot be deleted because you still need them for some reason. If those files have have either their extension or their filename pattern in common, you can filter them out. With the following command you can filter them out files with the .bam extension:

# Here ! -name "pattern" means NOT with a name that match the pattern
find /work/projects/dummy -type f ! -name "*.bam" -exec du -h {} + | sort -h -r | head -n 100

Alternatively, if you already know a filename pattern / extension that can be deleted, you can use the following script:

# Here ! -name "pattern" means NOT with a name that match the pattern
find /work/projects/dummy -type f ! -name "*.bam" -exec du -h {} + | sort -h -r | head -n 100

Top 100 biggest folders

You checked the top 100 biggest files but none of them is very big. A possible explanation is that you have a lot of small files and their size adds up above the quota.
Let’s find out which folders are the biggest, i.e. cumulated size their files and sub-folders. You can do that with the following command:

# Here type -d means folders only (not files)
find /work/projects/dummy -type d -exec du -h {} + | sort -h -r | head -n 100

Note that the result will contain folders containing sub-folders which are large. For example, if folder /work/projects/dummy/folder/subfolder is in the top 100 then its parent folder (/work/projects/dummy/folder) will also be included in the list as it is at least as big.

Third step: cleaning time

This section provides a collection of snippets to delete files based on some condition. Please ensure that you double-checked before deleting files.

Delete files based on a file pattern

# Here all files with the bam extension will be deleted
find /work/projects/dummy -type f -name "*.bam" -exec rm -f {} \; 

Delete files based on a maximum file size

# Here all files above 1Go will be deleted
find /work/projects/dummy -type f -size +1G -exec rm -f {} \;